Fight Fuel: Cacao Cherry Smoothie
Fuel is one of the most powerful tools in helping you win the fight — whatever your fight might be. This chocolaty smoothie is both nutrient dense and decadent. (Yes, you can have both!) Stock up on frozen cherries, order some raw cacao powder and spoil yourself.
The recipe below is serves 2-3 depending on serving size. It’s worth noting that I use 1 scoop of protein powder because my Garden of Life protein contains 170 calories per scoop and I usually split this smoothie into two servings to have between meals. Depending on what your protein powder’s nutrition content is — or when you are drinking this — you might want to use more or less than 1 scoop.
CACAO CHERRY SMOOTHIE
- 8 oz frozen Very Cherry Blend (or other frozen mixed berries)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 scoop plant-based protein (vanilla or unflavored)
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups coconut water + more filtered water if needed
- Optional: 2 handfuls of baby spinach or kale
- Place the bananas and berries in the blender first. Next, add the protein, cacao and chia seeds. Then top the ingredients with coconut water.
- Blend until smooth, adding 1/4 cup more filtered water at a time if needed.
- Divide into at least two servings. Freeze one, and consume the other.
Emily is the fitness instructor and recipe developer behind Stay Healthy, Stay Happy. She teaches a variety of classes including yoga, cardio dance and boxing. You can also catch her for a how-to food demo from time to time. At EBF, you’ll find her teaching BOXFIIT BAGS+BEATS with a dance-oriented flare and BODY+YOGA.